The Souvlaki pita is the excellence of Greek fast food! Find how to make them with the easy souvlaki pita wraps recipe and barbeque chicken souvlaki recipe for skewers below.
In large cities such as Athens or Thessaloniki, but also wherever fast food is found, each district offers at least one place where you can find souvlakia or pizza, in order to satisfy your cravings of fast food. While the pizza is ideal for a relaxing evening at home, spent watching a movie, The souvlaki can be enjoyed wherever you want.
The souvlaki pita which is similar to Mexican tortillas or falafels represents the national icon in Greece. It can be eaten as well at lunch, dinner and even breakfast after a long night out. You can find this simple and easy meal anywhere, by the sea or in the mountains. In Greece the souvlaki often accompanies you on an evening walk; it is a wonderful treat for children and a staple for students. It is naturally part of the Sunday barbecue. If we were to name a king of Greek fast food, it would undoubtedly be the souvlaki! It is tender, tasty, easy to prepare and ready to serve when you do not know what to cook.
The easiest Greek souvlaki for a barbecue is made with pork skewers, a great treat for everyone. Traditionally the skewer was very simple: small pieces of pork were strung on a skewer and cooked over an open flame. Then add a dash of lemon and sprinkle with a little dried Greek oregano.
For a wrap (a kind of rolled sandwich), the preparation is also very easy. The filling of the Greek pita usually consists of slices of tomatoes, pieces of onion and a good dose of tzatziki. Obviously for a wrap with a pita, as for any sandwich, the only limits are those of your imagination. You can perfectly add salad and any sauce to your liking to get a very hearty meal.
Recipe for souvlaki skewers with pork
Cut the pork into pieces about 2cm thick. Put them in a container and add olive oil, lemon juice, mustard and oregano. Mix well and let stand in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Take the wooden skewers and cut them to the size of your serving dish. Gently thread the pieces of pork and put on the grill.
Heat your grill to high temperature and cook the skewers for about 8 minutes, turning them from time to time to get perfect baking and beautiful golden color.
During this time, you can warm up the pitas on part of the grate. Brush them with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and oregano. Pitas require 1-2 minutes of cooking on each side.
Ten short minutes will be enough to prepare these delicious homemade souvlaki pitas wraps. Take the grilled chicken cubes from your souvlaki skewers, generously spread the tzatziki sauce, garnish with vegetables and garnish with a Greek salad! This quick and easy recipe will make you travel to Greece!
Souvlaki pita wraps recipe
A sandwich style souvlaki pita wraps at low price and easily made at home.
- 4 pita wraps or any other flatbread wraps you find
- 600 g boneless chicken breasts or chicken thigh highs (you can also use chopped pork or beef)
- 30 mL of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of traditional Greek spices or more if you prefer
- 2 tablespoons of dried oregano
- ½ romaine lettuce
- 2 chopped tomatoes or salsa
- ½ red onion
- 1 tzatziki sauce
- salt and pepper
- cut the chicken into cubes and saute in olive oil, over medium heat for about ten minutes, stirring occasionally along with Greek seasoning, salt, pepper and dried oregano.
- cut the salad into strips, the onion into thin half rings and the tomatoes into slices.
- lay out the salad in the pita wraps or flatbread. Add chicken, onions and tomatoes and garnish with tzatziki.
- Wrap in foil to eat the sandwich more easily.
Souvlaki skewers recipe
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) dried oregano
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) Cayenne pepper
- 2 small pork fillets about 340 G (3/4 lb) each, cut into cubes
- 24 wooden skewers soaked in water for 30 minutes, or just use metal ones
For the Sauce
- 100 g (1/2 cup) pickled and grated cucumber
- 250 ml (1 cup) sour cream
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sweet relish
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
In a glass dish or in an airtight bag, mix the oil, lemon juice, garlic and spices. Add the meat and coat it well. Cover the dish or close the bag. Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.
Making the Sauce
In a bowl, mix all the ingredients. Salt and pepper.
Preheat the barbecue to high power. Oil the grate.
Thread the meat to the end of each skewer. Salt and pepper. Grill skewers for 2 minutes on each side or until cooked.
Place the skewers on a serving dish or wooden board. Serve them immediately with the tzatziki sauce.