This post may contain affiliate links and I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. For more information please read my disclosure policy.
Making a barley water recipe at home may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you want to enjoy a fresh drink on your patio with friends on a hot summer day. But, you may change your mind when you learn how this wonderful and healthy drink can not only improve your health, but it will delight your taste buds as well.
Barley offers a multitude of health benefits, such as:
- An excellent source of selenium, molybdenum, manganese, fiber, copper, vitamin B1, magnesium, niacin, chromium and phosphorus
- Its natural fiber content nourishes the beneficial bacteria that live in the large intestine, which helps maintain a proper overall health and regular bowel movement. The breakdown of barley fiber in the intestine leads to the production of propionic acid, which can help lower bad cholesterol
- Barley fiber is also an excellent source of beta-glucan, a substance that also helps lower cholesterol
- Dietary fiber found in barley can also help reduce the risk of heart disease and in managing blood glucose levels, especially important for people with diabetes
What About The Health Benefits of Barley Water?
According to Ayurvedic tradition, barley water is a cooling food and is beneficial for people who suffer from digestive problems because it is easy to digest and can help prevent constipation, migraines and nausea.
Barley water would also be useful in managing urinary tract infections, as a mild detox, and helping with weight loss.
The slimming effects of barley water
If barley water can help you in your diet, it is first because it is satiating ! Its richness in fiber, protein and beta-glucans gives it some interesting appetite suppressant properties.
But barley water also has beneficial effects on blood sugar, since it helps stabilize blood sugar levels. And it is recognized today : stable blood sugar is the ally of the line !
The only “disadvantage” of this beneficial beverage? It’s the added sugar included in the traditional recipe …so, to enjoy a really light healthy barley water, follow my custom version below instead!
How to drink barley water?
If you wonder how often you should drink barley water to lose weight? Well, to get noticeable results, one to two cups a day are required. Cheers!
It’s not just for slimming, barley water also really takes care of your overall health!
As a wonderful natural detox drink, it would indeed cleanse your kidneys, and thus prevent cystitis or can relieve a urinary infection.
In addition, barley water contains tocotrienols (vitamins E), powerful antioxidants, which would have anti-cancer properties. Excellent for strengthening the immune system, it would also reduce cholesterol levels.
Only people with gluten intolerance will be wary of this drink, because of a risk of reaction !
Made without added sugar, barley water is also good for the weight loss and excellent for your health. A great drink, which I’m really happy I’ve stumbled upon!
So, How to make Barley Water?
It’s not very surprising, that there are dozens of barley water recipes and variations for making barley water, but the following example is one of the most basic approaches.
Easy Homemade Lemon Barley Water Recipe
- 1/2 to 2/3 cups pearly or shelled barley
- 4 cups water
- Dash of salt
- slice or half a Lemon (optional)
- Rinse the barley in a sieve or colander before using.
- Simmer the ingredients in a jar for about 15 minutes. Cool, then place in a blender and pulse for about 30 seconds. Filter the liquid through a filter or fine sieve.
- Tip: Don’t throw the soaked barley away; keep it to add to other recipes such as soups and stews or cook a little longer and enjoy it as a breakfast cereal.
- You are then free to enjoy the barley water as it is or to reassemble it with one of the following:
- Add a touch of lemon or lime. You can also add 1 sliced organic lemon to the jar while simmering. Remove the lemon before putting the mixture in the blender!
Options for spicing barley water:
For a sweetener. Some people like to add a little honey or another natural sweetener to their barley water
Add few Cherries or berries. Puree cherries, strawberries, blueberries or other berries and stir in the cooled barley water before serving
Grated ginger (1 tablespoon, more or less depending on taste) can be added to the recipe as well
Add a cinnamon stick to the barley water while it cools down
If you add some coconut water you will have a wonderful tropical drink from heaven, I guarantee you ;-).
Tip: If you want to help manage a urinary tract infection. Boil 1/2 cup husked barley in 4 cups of water and allow it to reduce to about 2 cups. Cool and drink 2 to 4 ounces of barley water several times a day.
Barley water can also be useful if you are pregnant, as it can reduce nausea and morning sickness. Fiber in barley water can also be beneficial in the Prevention of hemorrhoids, a common complaint during pregnancy.
A word of caution. If you suffer from celiac disease, barley water should not be on your menu because it contains gluten. For everyone else, barley water can be one of the healthiest drinks you can enjoy!
You can also add some ginger or cinnamon stick for even better taste and health benefits.
Have you tried making this healthy barley water recipe at home before? Let me know in the comments below.