This post may contain affiliate links and I may earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
Power Up Your Immune System
During the winter, staying free of a sore throat or cold can sometimes be difficult. But if you do find yourself sick, a few tried and true natural remedies for Sore Throat and Fever, in addition to supplements, can keep you out of bed or get you up and moving when illness strikes.
Since most sore throats are caused by bacterial and viral infections, strengthening the immune system is one of the first steps to preventing a sore throat. Bacteria and viruses that cause these illnesses can be transmitted through the air, or by coming into contact with someone who is sick. Objects can also carry bacteria and viruses. Since sometimes avoidance is not possible, having a strong immune system is one of the great next steps. Yoga, in addition to herbs and supplements, can help with this.
Tried and Tested Natural Remedies for Sore Throat and Fever
Pain and soreness of the throat can also be caused by allergies in the environment. Luckily, there are several home remedies for soothing a sore throat and its symptoms.
These remedies include:
1. Try a peppermint or other piece of hard candy. Sucking on candy promotes saliva production, which may help coat the throat and ease the pain.
2. Heat up a pot of hot water. Add honey and lemon to black or green tea for a delicious smelling, soothing, throat-coating blend.
3. Avoid restaurants, bars and other places where it is smoky and hard to breathe.
4. If you have swollen lymph nodes, try placing a hot compress on the sides of your neck. This may help reduce swelling and make things more comfortable.
5. Take it easy. Relaxing the body and mind can be helpful for healing from illness.
6. Try yoga. Gentle, restorative poses, as well as inversions to drain the sinuses, are especially helpful for re-aligning the body’s immune functions.
7. Vitamins and supplements. Vitamin C and Vitamin A, as well as herbs like Echinacea and garlic, which have antibacterial properties, can be used with success to help the symptoms of a sore throat.
Try These Three Great Fever Reducers
Reduce a fever naturally by opening up the pantry and fridge. Three common household items: potatoes, lavender oil and eggs, can all be used to lower a soaring temperature.
The Country Almanac of Home Remedies by Brigitte Mars and Chrystle Fiedler offers this “thrifty cure,” for fever: “apply a raw potato poultice to the soles of your feet to draw heat out of the body.” The authors also say soaking your feet in cool water and applying “cool water compresses to which 5 drops of peppermint or lavender essential oil have been added,” drops a fever.
Others swear by eggs. Simply crack a few eggs and put them in a deep pan. Remove socks or slippers and let the feet soak. Watch as the temperature decreases while the feet are in the pan. For an overnight remedy, soak socks in the egg mixture and sleep with them on, propped on a towel to catch the mess. Some claim this cure takes away the fever by the next morning.