Easy Vegan Curried Lentil & Rice Soup
Not a dessert post this time, sadly cause I would love some brownies or cookies right now.
Don’t we normally go out to eat in restaurants or cafes because we feel to lazy to cook anything at home, if time isn’t an issue?
Well, this evening, I felt to lazy to go out. It’s windy, it’s kinda of cold, I have to work in an hour and I just really dislike eating in a rush…So, in the end I was too lazy to want to go out to eat.
Ransacking the cupboards to find something, anything to through together…a bag of Lentils! 😀 Yay. With pantry items and spices one can go a long way cooking a basic meal. I pulled this recipe off a Google search. My only addition would be some lamb or steak to throw in, the next time I make this dish.
It was very easy, quick, simple and very good.
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed (I used Powder)
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup couscous or white basmati rice
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (I left these out)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/ 8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bring the lentils, onion, celery, garlic, cumin seed, and water to a simmer in a large pot over medium heat.
- Cover and cook until the lentils are tender, about 50 minutes. (I added 2 bullion cubes too)
- Stir in the couscous or rice, chopped tomatoes, curry powder, and pepper.
- Continue cooking until the couscous is tender, about 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- And, I allowed most of the water to boil out.